Crafting

Training Materials, Installation Instructions & other useful information related to TF2

Moderator: Officers

Crafting

Postby [CS] Joab on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:43 pm

All that you need to know can be found here. However, since few of you will actually go there and read it (and will instead ask while we're playing the game, "How do I craft a hat?") I'll share some of that here. Hosers.

Anything that can be crafted has a blueprint (i.e. recipe). Certain weapons, hats, tokens, etc. can all be crafted. There are three ways to craft a hat. The results will always be a TF2 hat, not a promotional hat.

1. Craft any two hats together and get a random hat. I've done this once and the result was a Vintage Merryweather.

2. Craft 3 refined metal and get a random hat. I've done this twice and got an Exquisite Rack and another Vintage Merryweather.

3. Craft 4 refined + a class token and get a random hat for that class. I did this with 4 refined + a Soldier token and got the Chieftan's Challenge I gave away in the hat raffle. You can craft a set hat (i.e. the Milkman) by crafting 4 refined + a weapon for that class.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: Crafting

Postby AeitoTheouSophias on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I try to click on the links but most of them are blocked at work. :evil: I will be trying this as soon as I get some extra stuff to craft. I still don't have new weapons for a few of my guys. Vintage hats don't drop in game correct? So the only way to get them is to either trade or craft and get lucky with crafting?
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
James 1:5
AeitoTheouSophias
Let me show you the ropes

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Uriah wrote:Vintage hats don't drop in game correct? So the only way to get them is to either trade or craft and get lucky with crafting?

The "vintage" tag was applied to items that existed prior to the Mann-Conomy update, which came out last September. You cannot craft anything vintage; only what existed before the update is vintage. Thus, there will never be new vintage items, which is why they are more valued with traders.

Anything you craft or find since that update, and from here forward, will be non-vintage. If you want vintage hats or weapons you'll have to trade for them.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab

Postby AeitoTheouSophias on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm a little confused by your first post then. You said you crafted some vintage hats. Is that just because you crafted them before the update and then they became vintage after wards? Just wondering.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
AeitoTheouSophias

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Ah, I see. There are two hats with "Vintage" as part of their names: Vintage Merryweather and Vintage Tyrolean. When the Mann-Conomy update happened the ones that already existed were re-named Vintage Vintage Merryweather and Vintage Vintage Tyrolean.

It's a bit confusing. The reason those hats originally had "Vintage" as part of their names was because they are old styles of hat. The Merryweather is the fire helmet that was used back in the 1800's, and the Tyrolean is an old German hat that's probably only worn now when people dress up for Oktoberfest.

Also, any hats that were added to the game after that update can never be vintage. You will never see a Vintage Rimmed Raincatcher, or Vintage Flipped Trilby, for example, because Valve added those hats to the game after the Mann-Conomy update.
[CS] Joab

Postby AeitoTheouSophias on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Oh ok, it all makes sense now!!! Im a little slow sometimes. :D thanks for clearing that up.
AeitoTheouSophias

Return to TF2 Boot Camp