How to play Heavy

Training Materials, Installation Instructions & other useful information related to TF2

Moderator: Officers

How to play Heavy

Postby [CS] Joab on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Just don't shoot into the spawn, like he does once in this video. Other than that, some useful tips, and it's always better to see them than to just read them.

"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: How to play Heavy

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 am

The Australian Christmas release has brought some new Heavy weapons. I only have one but I've used it enough to give it a :jedi:

The weapon in question is the Brass Beast. As I write this it can only be obtained via crafting, but I expect it to be in the item drop eventually. To craft it you need 2 reclaimed metal + a Natascha. Fortunately, we had two Nataschas and some metal lying around so I gave this a whirl.

Stats
+20% damage given
50% slower spin-up time
60% slower movement speed when deployed

With the slower spin-up time you'll need to be careful moving around, since if you're caught by surprise by pretty much any class you're toast by the time this thing is spinning and ready to fire. And if you are wondering, the damage increase is noticed. Last night I got in about 4 Heavy vs. Heavy battles, where neither of us had a medic and we opened fire at pretty much the same time. I won them all, but when the other Heavy was dead I only had about 40 health left.

The loadout I've been using with the gun is the shotgun as secondary and GRU as melee. The GRU let you move much faster, though you lose a bit of health in the process. Still, once you whip out the Brass Beast movement slows to a crawl, so anything that makes you move faster between battles is welcomed. But only use the GRU if you're moving in areas you don't expect an enemy. If I do expect the possibility of an enemy just ahead I can pull out the shotgun. It gives me something to fire while letting me move faster than with the Brass Beast out (though slower than with the GRU).
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby [CS] Raston on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 am

I learned a few things from that video.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Maugrin on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 pm

One thing I've learned playing with the Brass Beast is that you have anticipate movement of the enemy and spin up early and often. It's hard to kill scouts with the Brass Beast when going one on one, because of the slow spin up and slower movement speed they can easily run around you, but they'll go down quick if you can catch 'em by surprise.
Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls.
[CS] Maugrin
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Raston on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:27 am

I usually carry the shotgun if I have to deal with a bunch of pesky Scouts. Very good for close action.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Return to TF2 Boot Camp