How to play Pyro

Training Materials, Installation Instructions & other useful information related to TF2

Moderator: Officers

How to play Pyro

Postby [CS] Joab on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:43 am

The video starts off slow, but there are a lot of tricks, tips and hints that follow. A couple of things...
1. The airburst is incredible, and if you use the Backburner you lose it. I'd rather have the airburst, so I play with the Degreaser.
2. The best Pyros are sneaky, like Spies. Find spots that are good for ambush attacks and do your dirty deeds. Don't feel guilty. :twisted:
3. Just look at what is capable with the airburst in this video! BTW, since this video was made the Pyro has obtained the Axetinguisher. That weapon gives an instant kill when used on any enemy who is on fire, so set them on fire, switch (quickly) to melee, and put him/her out of their misery. Yep.

I bet you will want to play Pyro after seeing thsi video. :mrgreen: And by all means, don't forget to taunt. The Pyro has the best taunts in the game.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: How to play Pyro

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:08 am

I remembered what is shown in the video, when attacking a Heavy close in, and used it last night. It works. Remember, Heavies cannot turn well when they are firing the minigun so keep moving in a circle, staying behind them as much as possible. I took one down in under 3 seconds this way. And if he has a Medic, air blast him to knock him away first (disrupting the health stream).

The circling move also worked on a Heavy while I was playing Scout. Bonk!
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: How to play Pyro

Postby [CS] Raston on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 am

I agree with the video except where he attacks a soldier, heavy, and medic and flames the soldier then chases after the other two. At one time you might be able to do that, but most times if you don't finish the soldier he'll shoot you in the back before you get to the medic and heavy. That's also if the other two aren't observant enough to hear the soldier screaming and kept walking as they did. You won't see that happen much on our server we're hardened veterans. The Backburner is good for mixing it up with a pack of guys and does more damage I think because someone's back is usually exposed. The Degreaser is good for certain maps then at times it seems the Backburner is better. I end up using the Backburner most often, hense why I named her the "Bringer of Fire". I'm also not afraid to frontal assault a few guys depending on the classes. Soldiers are one class a Pyro doesn't want to duel. Of course if you're good with the flare gun and can manage to dodge their shots from long range you might win. All things being equal and no med kits close.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Return to TF2 Boot Camp