Windows 7 64-bit and IE8

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Windows 7 64-bit and IE8

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm having trouble with the new installation of Win 7 64-bit and IE8...
I've read all over the Microsoft support site and can't seem to find anything that works.

I use tabbed browsing heavily...in here especially...if one of you posts a link, I'll right-click it and select "open in new tab" so whatever you posted shows up in another tab and I don't lose my place here (that way I can explore the new link without worrying how many pages I've clicked through). That doesn't work right now on the new computer. I have "enable tabbed browsing" checked in IE8.

Also, I have the options set to open links in a new window. It doesn't. You click on a hyperlink and it just refreshes the current page with the new page. Also, if there is a re-direct, such as on our home page for the "Forum" tab (it re-directs you to /bb just in case you didn't realize), that won't do anything - no new open windows from existing windows.

When I looked at the community forum in Microsoft Support for IE8, this is a problem that many apparently have or had. Unfortunately, none of the solutions offered there help.

Anyone here have that problem or have a fix for it?
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Re: Windows 7 64-bit and IE8

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Try using <Ctrl> click on a link to open in a new window. <Shift> click should open a totally new browser.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks...still gives me the blank "connecting" tab and doesn't do anything... :evil:
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby Renegade on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

Install Firefox and forget Internet Exploder. :P
Renegade

Postby [CS] Jedi on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

[CS] Renegade wrote:Install Firefox and forget Internet Exploder. :P

:stupid:

Go with Firefox and use this guide for setting it up - http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html .

However, if you insist on using IE, there is a section on configuring IE in the Windows 7 tweak guide I posted for you. Make sure you read it. I'm not sure if that will solve your issue, but it's a good place to start.
"Raston, do you get a commission from YouTube?" - [CS] IcePrincess
"The only useless weapon in DOD is the lack of cooperation." - Steff Meister
"This isn't Counter-Strike, let's leave the attitudes at the door." - Sparky Jamers
[CS] Jedi
Site Admin

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:51 pm

[CS] Jedi wrote: However, if you insist on using IE, then you are behaving like a typical old man who is distrustful of anything but the status quo, doubtless shouting at neighborhood kids to get off your lawn and complaining about "the Google" being difficult to figure out.

Made humorous to take a jab at poor Viz.

I know a man who used to build web sites. He told me that Firefox actually renders things correctly, but a vast majority of sites are constructed so they work in IE because a majority of Internet users still use IE.

"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions...I probably will just do that.
I had Firefox on the previous computer, but wifey doesn't like it the same - she's used to IE.
I'll see what I can do.
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Joab on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Tell Wifey it's the same as IE, only better. From what I can remember the commands and shortcuts are the same in FF as with IE, so she should fit right in. Of course, if you have add-ons such as No Script installed (as I do), that becomes a different matter...my wife says, "I don't like having to allow things").
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby [CS] Jedi on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 pm

IE9 is now available. Try it out instead.
"Raston, do you get a commission from YouTube?" - [CS] IcePrincess
"The only useless weapon in DOD is the lack of cooperation." - Steff Meister
"This isn't Counter-Strike, let's leave the attitudes at the door." - Sparky Jamers
[CS] Jedi
Site Admin

Postby [CS] SSgt-SpeeD on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Can't say as I've had that problem with Win 7/64bit. Mine seems to work OK. Strange things in cyberland.

8-)
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD

Put on the full armour of God
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD
Clan Member

Return to Support/Help