System memory question

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

System memory question

Postby [CS] Joab on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm currently using a matched pair of 1GB RAM (2GB total) in my computer, which runs Vista Business. For Christmas, I can get a matched pair of 2GB sticks (4GB total), so I have questions.

Q1. If I keep the current sticks of RAM I'd have 6GB total. Would I notice a benefit of 6GB over 4GB?

Q2. New and old RAM would all be DDR2 800, but if the timing of the two sets of RAM is slightly different (5-5-5-15 & 4-4-4-15) that won't make any difference, right?

Q3. If I end up putting my current RAM in the old computer, which has a matched set of 1G sticks, thereby giving it 4GB of RAM, how much will it help that system (which uses XP Pro)? I believe I've read that XP cannot recognize/use more than 3GB of memory.

Danke for your help.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: System memory question

Postby [CS] Raston on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 pm

[CS] Joab wrote:I'm currently using a matched pair of 1GB RAM (2GB total) in my computer, which runs Vista Business. For Christmas, I can get a matched pair of 2GB sticks (4GB total), so I have questions.

Q1. If I keep the current sticks of RAM I'd have 6GB total. Would I notice a benefit of 6GB over 4GB?

Q2. New and old RAM would all be DDR2 800, but if the timing of the two sets of RAM is slightly different (5-5-5-15 & 4-4-4-15) that won't make any difference, right?

Q3. If I end up putting my current RAM in the old computer, which has a matched set of 1G sticks, thereby giving it 4GB of RAM, how much will it help that system (which uses XP Pro)? I believe I've read that XP cannot recognize/use more than 3GB of memory.

Danke for your help.

IMHO

1. Yes, if your system will recognize it. Is it a substancial increase?, some but most games use 4 GB ram fine. Maybe if you want to run some apps in the background while you play TF2 you'd notice a benefit. Perhaps if you want to watch movies online. In the future it might enable you to keep your system longer by squeezing that last bit of juice out of the old girl for those new Jezebel games.

2. It's been awhile since I fooled with manually setting memory, but you could try setting both to the higher timing and see what happens. I'd say that set automatically it would revert to the lower memory timings.

3. You could try it and see what happens. At worst it will only show 3 GB.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 am

It just dawned on me that I have an alternative available to me. I have an upgrade disc that will take me from Vista to Windows 7. It's not a full install, which is what I'd prefer, but I could do this and use all 6GB of memory. I was looking around the Intertubes and found more than one site that said Vista, as I'd read about XP, does not recognize more than 3GB of memory, but I know Windows 7 does.

Thoughts?
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 am

Bah! Never mind. I went to Microsoft's site and found the answers.

Vista will not recognize more than 3.5 gigs of memory, or use more, no matter how much is installed, since my version is 32 bit. Likewise XP. And I could upgrade to Win 7 but after downloading and running a program that everything to see what would be compatible with Win 7 I see that it would be almost as much work as a clean install. I'll just ride out Vista for awhile longer until I can get a full version of Win 7.
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Xid on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

I have Win7 Pro Upgrade at work. I wiped my system and ran the install. It installed everything just fine but I had to call Microsoft to activate it. Win7 didn't think I was upgrading because I didn't let it do a mishmash install.
-----
There lurks the skid demon!
[CS] Xid
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:38 pm

That's good to know Xid. Maybe I'll try that.

According to one of the IT guys at work Win 7 won't recognize more than 3-4 gigs of RAM either, unless it's the 64 bit version. The discounted version available to me is 32 bit. :cry:
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Ice_GopherFC on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm looking to upgrade my XP machine and Sara's Vista machine to 7 here within the next little bit. Hoping the ole quad core phenom will be able to really fly with a 64 bit OS :)
"Blimps remind me of myself to much to want to own one. The are slow, round, full of hot air and not tax free. :shock:" -[CS] Goodytwoshoes

I've learned that I'd much rather have fools pray for me, than work with intellectuals who run me down. I love you folks! (1 Corinthians 1:25!)
[CS] Ice_GopherFC
Official Clan Fire Fodder

Postby [CS] Raston on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:53 pm

I bought the Win7 64 bit Home Edition OEM version for $99 at New Egg when I did my build. Might ask for it for Christmas. :wink:
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 am

[CS] Xid wrote:I have Win7 Pro Upgrade at work. I wiped my system and ran the install. It installed everything just fine but I had to call Microsoft to activate it. Win7 didn't think I was upgrading because I didn't let it do a mishmash install.

This would be MUCH more interesting to me than trying to upgrade. I have Vista 32-bit, and would like to upgrade to 7 64-bit, which according to all of the documentation I can find would be a major hassle, and likely to cause problems.

Xid, what exactly did you do with Microsoft once you called them? How do they know you're installing a valid upgrade, if it's on a clean system?
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] No One on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:48 am

My newe workstation at work that has Win 7 64 bit on it with 12 GB of memory and a Xeon E620 processor.

I can't say I really see a difference in speed from my old computer that was Win XP with 4 GB of memory.

What I can do is have so many windows open with different applications without degrading the ability to jump between them that its almost scary. My old XP machine would start to loose it after say 4 - 6 windows open depending on what was in the windows. My new machine I've had 15 windows open for various things and it doesn't even break a sweat.
[CS] No One
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Xid on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:
[CS] Xid wrote:I have Win7 Pro Upgrade at work. I wiped my system and ran the install. It installed everything just fine but I had to call Microsoft to activate it. Win7 didn't think I was upgrading because I didn't let it do a mishmash install.

This would be MUCH more interesting to me than trying to upgrade. I have Vista 32-bit, and would like to upgrade to 7 64-bit, which according to all of the documentation I can find would be a major hassle, and likely to cause problems.

Xid, what exactly did you do with Microsoft once you called them? How do they know you're installing a valid upgrade, if it's on a clean system?

When Win7 was done installing it wouldn't activiate. So I just called the Mircrosoft Tech Line, told them I had XP Pro on my system and that I wiped my drives and did a clean install. He told me that it wasn't designed for a clean install but rather an upgrade (is that why it reads "Upgrade" on the box?) then walked me through some clicks and junk to get it activated.

I may have had to read off my XP Key but I can't remember as it was done almost a year ago.
-----
There lurks the skid demon!
[CS] Xid
Clan Officer

Postby Frostbite on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:36 pm

You will need 64bit os to use more than 4 gigs. Also, the reason they match the pairs so that the system takes advantage of Dual Channel in the memory. You can mix and match if you know what you are doing and the bios tells its limitations in the manual. As far as performance goes either way (dual or single, 4 or 6 gigs) you are talking about trying to get another jar of peanuts in a Walmart warehouse.
Frostbite
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Frostbite wrote:As far as performance goes either way...you are talking about trying to get another jar of peanuts in a Walmart warehouse.

Layoff the sweet tea, Frosty, I'm worried about you, man....seriously.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Return to Support/Help