Mobo kicks the bucket

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Mobo kicks the bucket

Postby Cleric on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Looks like the mobo in my pc kicked the bucket. My pc froze so I restarted it but on restart the light on the button was yellow and the fans were on high and nothing showed up on the screen. I saw the fan on the vid card wasn't turning so I took it out and turned the pc back on but same thing. I went to the dell forums and saw there had been people who had the same problem before and seems like the mobo is the problem. I'm trying to get the warranty extended so replacing any parts is easier or else I might be screwed.
Cleric
Officially Retired

Re: Mobo kicks the bucket

Postby Renegade on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:36 am

Sorry to hear that. Praying that all works out.
Renegade

Postby Hooligan on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Dell is pretty good with supporting their products, as you said if under warranty. The only other hurdle would be getting a rep that you can understand over the phone.

That stinks man. Get it fixed quick so we can squad up again in BC2! :twisted:
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby [CS] IcePrincess on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:43 pm

That sounds a lot like a problem that I was having before. It turned out that one of my memory sticks went bad.
[CS] IcePrincess
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Raston on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:58 am

I'm getting lock-ups, reboots and blue screen myself lately. I put in a new power supply today and it wasn't that. I will try a new video card tomorrow. From what I've read the problem could be video, memory or power supply. Might be MB but I'd try replacing some of the other hardware to make sure.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 pm

mobo no mo, bobo.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Goodytwoshoes on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:37 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:mobo no mo, bobo.

When people move from a high-pressure environment to one of low pressure environments it causes this symptom or commonly called the bends.
[CS] Goodytwoshoes
Site Admin

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 pm

[CS] Goodytwoshoes wrote:
[CS] Scubadvr wrote:mobo no mo, bobo.

When people move from a high-pressure environment to one of low pressure environments it causes this symptom or commonly called the bends.

Fo sho, jojo!
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Goodytwoshoes on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:34 pm

:lol: :lol:
[CS] Goodytwoshoes
Site Admin

Postby Cleric on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 pm

well I was able to extend my warranty on my pc and then waited 2 days to call support. I had already done what they wanted me to try so I pretty much breezed through all suggestions and got them to send a new motherboard, power supply, and memory out so all I have to do now is wait for the on-site tech guy to call me to setup a day for him to come over and fix my pc. Hopefully by the end of the week I can be back online and gaming again. Kinda boring just playing my PS3 and using my phone for internet.

IcePrincess, I thought the samething at first since that happened to my last computer and it was a bad memory stick but I wasn't lucky this time I took all 4 sticks out and tried them one by one and still nothing.
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby Cleric on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Well I had the Dell repair guy come over tuesday to fix my computer and he took the old parts out and put in a new motherboard, which is from the xps 720 model and I have a 710, a new power supply, and new memory. He fired up the computer and got into the bios and put in the service tag and stuff in there but after he saved and exit the computer booted up again and got the dell logo that comes up and after that got the message no boot drive. He then pushed the button to restart the computer again and then BAM!!! I got hit with the same problem on the computer again with the solid amber light in the front and only the fans come on. The guy was stumped as to what was wrong and couldn't figure it out and trying a few things and he called up dell and they had him on hold so long his phone ran out of battery so the guy decided to leave since he was late for another appointment and I got left hanging a busted pc again just with some newer parts. :(

If I don't get a call from the guy by tomorrow I'm gonna call dell up and see whats up cause from the looks of it I'm gonna lose all the stuff that was on my harddrives, 40 gigs of music of which 7 or 8 gigs are not backed up since I installed windows 7 earlier this year...yes i'm lazy when it comes to backing up stuff lol, and if they can't get it fixed I'm gonna try to get to send me one of those fancy new xps computers. :evil:
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby Hooligan on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 pm

nnnnnNNNNOOOOO!

First you need to grab you one of THESE, like YESTERDAY, and pull that stuff off your HD like its a big flash drive then bask in the sun cause you're uber l33t!

Next give THIS site a once-over, then when you see the guy again say, "Thanks but I think I figured it out. Just make my check payable to CubanElite, Esq."
:wink:
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby Cleric on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:24 pm

I have 2 500 GB harddrives acting as one big 1 TB harddrive so will I still be able to pull stuff off with that thing?

As for the site its one of the first things I did before going to the forums and finally calling dell the next day. What it says for a steady amber light I did before calling and the dell repair guy did after he got the steady light and nothing. No diagnostic lights light up so thats no help there. :(
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby Hooligan on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:28 pm

That tool will prob not help much if you were on a RAID config. Or at least one without redundancy/fault tolerance.

What RAID config? I am going to guess it might have been 0 given the performance benefit and it being an XPS. Bad thing is it eliminates redundancy and no fault tolerance. Translating to making recovery pretty difficult.

It's pretty involved but is allegedly possible. Can't say I've ever had to do it. THIS may help but since you can't boot, depending on how badly you need that data, you might have to have someone else do it. Hopefully Dell.

I recommended this in a post somewhere around here before. Buy Acronis True Image Home w/the plus pack. Run it once a month. I do mine twice a month. Once you get things back up and running, even if on dissimilar hardware (on their new version and 2010), you will be ready to go in about 30min vs days.

Man, thats tough. :( Hope it works out for ya.
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby Cleric on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Well looks like I'm gonna lose the stuff on my Harddrives but gonna get a new Alienware Aurora pc with liquid cooling out of it so its not all bad I guess lol. 8-)
Cleric
Officially Retired

Next

Return to Support/Help