My new System

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Re: My new System

Postby [CS] SSgt-SpeeD on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Well, my current game machine is a Gigabyte as well. Here is my most sage advice. Still sounds like you're missing the SATA driver for your MB. You likely have two sets of SATA ports on your board, so make sure you know which set of ports you're plugged in and load that driver set.

If your IDE/SATA HD is not detected by Win7 try this. Download the IDE/SATA controller driver to a USB flash drive or floppy or portable drive that uses a FAT16 format (reformat if necessary). I recommend USB flash drive as these format quickly and can be reformated back to original easily. These are generally small files suitable for flash drives. Your driver files must be unzipped and should be clearly placed in an obvious folder on the media/drive you use." Insert the USB drive and boot up Win 7 from your Windows Install DVD/CD. When the install screen gets to the point you stop with no HD detected you should also see the option button to load a driver on the screen (lower left corner??). Click the button and browse to the file stored on the USB, choose it and install it. Your drive should now show on the screen and be usable. Select the HD and get on with your install.

Hopefully this helps and isn't what you've already done. One more thing you might try if this doesn't work is to flash your bios on the MB and try this all again. How big is the HD?? Are you doing RAID?

8-)
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD

Put on the full armour of God
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Raston on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm

I plan on buying a flash drive tomorrow. I do have floppy drive hook-up if I want and could easily get a floppy drive cheap, but want to try another method first.

You're comment on being sure of sata 2 or sata 3 drive got me looking at my packing slip. My HD says sata 2 and I had in the sata 3, 0 port. However, I did plug into the gsata 2 port and tried loading windows. I did the same thing, used my MB CD for drivers and loaded the sata 2 drivers, but it still didn't recognize drive. It does recognize the drive in bios whether I use gsata2 or sata 3. It's there it's just something with Win7 I'd say. Then again this bios is much more complicated than previous bioses and I could be setting up the HD drive wrong. Am I suppose to use Native IDE, Raid, or AHCI? I like some of the features of AHCI but is it compatible with older games and then again is Win 7 64 bit compatible with older 32 bit stuff or should I load it as Win 7 32 bit? Then you have the GSATA2 set-up for the SATA 2 I believe. What MB are you using? Mine is the GA-890PA-UD3H. It has 6 or 8 sata 3 ports and 2 gsata2 ports. I don't know if I mentioned earlier, but I'm not going to run a raid array. I'll be using a 1TB sata HD and a 320 gb new IDE HD. I had the IDE drive collecting dust and figured I'd put it to use. I also might throw in my 250 gb IDE drive from old pc which has all my gaming files etc.. Right now though the IDE HD is disconnected. It is recognized in Win 7, but I don't want to load Win 7 on it. :cry:
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:25 am

SATA 2.0 will work on a 3.0 motherboard. It's backward compatible so that shouldn't matter.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby [CS] Raston on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:33 pm

[CS] Joab wrote:SATA 2.0 will work on a 3.0 motherboard. It's backward compatible so that shouldn't matter.

True, unless Win7 is tempermental and that seems to be so. No other PC have I had this much trouble for Windows to find a drive, especially when bios shows it. But, then this is the 2nd time I've installed Win 7, first time on a newly built PC.

Speed, I tried the flash drive with the new drivers from Gigabyte and still it will not recognize the drive.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] SSgt-SpeeD on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 pm

I have the GA EP45 UD3P motherboard. I run Win7 64 bit, so don't worry about loading 32 bit. All your 32 bit programs will run just fine as long as you have the 64 bit drivers for any associated software/hardware from the manufacturers for any stuff you want to run in 64bit mode. 32 bit stuff is loaded into a special 32 folder that Windows recognizes and runs in 32 bit mode. DOD/BF2/COD all run fine for me. There may be a few older programs that just won't run, but I haven't had any trouble to date except for printers where there are no 64 bit drivers. I lost some software functionality in some of those but they still do basic functions like scan/print.

SATA 3 is backward compatible, just as Ol Sgt indicated. When you set up BIOS, you don't really need RAID enabled (unless you're going to set up a RAID array) and if you like AHCI, I don't know of any reason you shouldn't select it. In fact, if you select RAID I believe it is enabled automatically. If your RAID is JBOD configured (just a bunch of disks) then it generally performs as separate drives but uses the RAID controller is my understanding. That means you have to install the RAID controller/drivers though.

Actually, my question on what SATA port used was related to which controller/driver set you needed to load. My MB actually has two separate controllers for all my ports. The normal Intel chipset and an additional GIGABYTE controller for the additional ports. You have to know which ports you are plugged into and load those specific drivers to get things to work. I'm assuming you did all that though and you are using the Intel controller? If not, you'll need the GIGABYTE controller/drivers.

When you set up your bios, did you enable the SATA drive and set the control mode for the HD you are using? Sounds like it from your question in your last response. Did you also select the drive as the boot drive? Doesn't have to be first boot device but must be marked as the boot HD, especially if you have already installed multiple HDs in the chassis and powered them up. (I recommend unplugging power/interface in other HDs until this is resolved though). I don't think this is a HD problem and once we get the drivers to Win7 it will crank right along. If you've done all these things and still not working, I recommend looking at flashing the bios to the latest if it isn't already. A 1 TB drive should not be problematic for Win7. This is a common problem with not having the drivers, but it seems once the drivers are loaded then everything goes OK. I suspect some other issue is hiding in the wings here that we haven't stumbled across..

8-)
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD

[CS] SSgt-SpeeD
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Raston on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:00 pm

I tried various set-ups with the gsata and sata3 and the results were the same. But, guess what, the HD is DOA. :evil: My son stopped by after work and he was even puzzled why the HD was doing what it was. He took the PC home and put in another sata drive and it was recognized right off. No need for drivers Win 7 recognized his HD and was ready to input OS. I put in an RMA and will have to send it off for replacement. I'm going to town tomorrow evening and see if I can buy a small sata drive so I can load Win7 64 and get things set-up then install some games and hopefully be playing this weekend. :jedi:
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] SSgt-SpeeD on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:08 pm

GREAT! Glad you found the problem. Can't you take it back to the store and exchange it if it's new and not been too long since purchase?

Anyway, you might want to use your IDE drive to do the install and then just image it onto the new 1TB drive when you get it back from RMA. Save you buying a new drive (if you have image software available). Out here a 500 GB HD is only about $45 or less though, so not terribly expensive. In fact, if you can wait and watch sales you can get a 1 TB for only a few $$ more sometimes.

Once again, congratulations. Should always take the most direct path I suppose. Just hard to accept that out of the box failures are going to happen. Been there, done that.

8-)
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD

[CS] SSgt-SpeeD
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Raston on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 pm

[CS] SSgt-SpeeD wrote:GREAT! Glad you found the problem. Can't you take it back to the store and exchange it if it's new and not been too long since purchase?

Anyway, you might want to use your IDE drive to do the install and then just image it onto the new 1TB drive when you get it back from RMA. Save you buying a new drive (if you have image software available). Out here a 500 GB HD is only about $45 or less though, so not terribly expensive. In fact, if you can wait and watch sales you can get a 1 TB for only a few $$ more sometimes.

Once again, congratulations. Should always take the most direct path I suppose. Just hard to accept that out of the box failures are going to happen. Been there, done that.

8-)

I wish I could take it back and get a new one but I bought all the stuff to build my PC from NewEgg. You know how long that is going to take to mail it off and then get a replacement back. I have a RMA number and going to have to print out two pages that need to be included with the HD. I had to send those to my wife's PC at work so she can print them out, because my PC is going to be main and will have printer on lan for her. And that is another thing to consider is my old printer will it work on either my wife's or my PC?

That was my idea too for the IDE but my son chuckled and asked me why I wanted to have an IDE drive in my PC anyway. And no way would he allow me installing Win7 on my IDE drive. He said there would be a speed decrease using IDE. I told him I would go with a sata drive for main HD, but told him I am not going to waste a perfectly new 320 gb IDE drive that I bought for my next PC build. Who'd thunk that they'd go sata?
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Previous

Return to Support/Help