Facebook Changes

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Facebook Changes

Postby Frostbite on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I thought this was the most appropiate place for the subject.

Confirm the Pages that will be on your profile. Uncheck any Page you don't want to link to. Linking to education and work Pages may also create additional Pages, such as for your major or job title. If you don't link to any Pages, these sections on your profile will be empty. By linking your profile to Pages, you will be making these connections public.

I found this when I logged into facebook. If I am reading this right, If I do not link to any pages, Then my info section will be completely bare. If i do link to the pages, my information becomes completely public. Ummm...... what?

This is what comes up when trying to unlink.
If you don't link to any Pages, the following sections on your profile will be empty:
... See More

* Work and Education
* Current City
* Hometown
* Likes and Interests

I think this is very bad. I figured I would start a discussion on this to see if yall come to the same conclusion. Am I just off my rocker here or is something up? Anyone know what is going on? Barney, maybe some insight from big brother?
Frostbite
Officially Retired

Re: Facebook Changes

Postby Hooligan on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:22 pm

What's Facebook?
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Jedi on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:04 pm

[CS] Hooligan wrote:What's Facebook?

I think it's something you leave on your coffee table...something for guests to look through when they visit your house. My wife has tons of them around the house.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. :roll:
"Raston, do you get a commission from YouTube?" - [CS] IcePrincess
"The only useless weapon in DOD is the lack of cooperation." - Steff Meister
"This isn't Counter-Strike, let's leave the attitudes at the door." - Sparky Jamers
[CS] Jedi
Site Admin

Postby [CS] Joab on Sat May 01, 2010 12:46 am

Frosty, the Backward Bayou Boy and Sir Thumbs-a-lot may still be living in the 19th century but I'm with you (we are Facebook friends, after all). I understand that the same way you do and it stink to not be able to set those links so only friends can see them. Facebook has made several changes in the last few months that not everyone likes. I'm careful about what I put out there and who I become friends with. For instance, I befriended Gopher, and while I trust him with my personal information I still ended up with fleas.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Mon May 03, 2010 11:38 am

Jedi,

While I agree that posting personal information so that it is publicly accessible is stupid, the one thing Facebook really did well was allow me to connect with people with whom I'd totally lost contact over the years.

That said, I've just about had it with Facebook. There's no way I want to link personal information in a way that I can't control its distribution.

According to an article in the Washington Post, as Facebook goes through the redesign process (which they are doing very frequently), they are apparently changing your default settings, with no warning:
Worse yet, Facebook also apparently reset my privacy settings: After I'd set my "Likes and Interests" to be visible to "only friends," I found that the corresponding categories in the new interface ("Activities," "Interests" and "Things I Like") had all been made visible to "Everyone."

Full story here.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon May 03, 2010 2:45 pm

That is why the personal information listed with my Facebook account isn't specific. It's nothing I'd be worried about anyone in the world knowing. I still cannot believe the number of people who put their e-mail address, cell phone # and other such info in their profile.

And I also like that I'm able to have regular communication with a wide variety of people, many of them relatives, who are scattered around the country. I now get to chat with Aunts, Uncles, cousins and friends from college as often as I want to instead of once a year, at most. It allows for some wonderful options but it is a double-edged sword.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Mon May 03, 2010 3:31 pm

[CS] Joab wrote: It allows for some wonderful options but it is a double-edged sword.

Yes, indeed. I tried to set it up to filter out anyone from Ohio, but somehow you and the Pale one ended up on my friends list.

Maybe it's time to set up a new account under my real name, Algernon Blanston.
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Jedi on Mon May 03, 2010 6:07 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:Jedi,

While I agree that posting personal information so that it is publicly accessible is stupid,

I don't know what kind of books you leave laying out on your coffee table as a facebook, but the wife and I do NOT leave things like yearbooks or the wedding photo album laying around as facebooks. That's a little too personal. Not to mention, it would probably freak out some of our house guests...or they would say things like "wow, you used to look a LOT thinner!". :shock:
"This isn't Counter-Strike, let's leave the attitudes at the door." - Sparky Jamers
[CS] Jedi
Site Admin

Postby Hooligan on Mon May 03, 2010 7:04 pm

:lol: :jedi:
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 pm

[CS] Jedi wrote:Not to mention, it would probably freak out some of our house guests...or they would say things like "wow, you know a llama? That explains all the :llama: in the yard"

Made better.
[CS] Joab

Postby Frostbite on Tue May 04, 2010 8:09 am

So I think I understand this a little better. They try to link your info to groups you can like. They do not actually make your interests public to the world, or so I think. You can click on something listed in your interests and it will automatically search for those groups, friends with similar interests (sometimes non friends too :shock: ), or statuses that contain that phrase. It is actually pretty freaky in my opinion. Might have to give facebook a scrub of just about everything there except my name.

[CS] Jedi wrote:"wow, you used to look a LOT thinner!". :shock:

If CS ever has a large gathering, I know who's cooking to look forward too.
Frostbite
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Tue May 04, 2010 10:47 am

[CS] Jedi wrote:I don't know what kind of books you leave laying out on your coffee table as a facebook,

We don't have a coffee table. Too risky.

...or they would say things like "wow, you used to look a LOT thinner!".

Hmm.....As many times as you've called me a fat-head, I pictured you as being thin. I guess it's time to change my mental picture of you.

[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Jedi on Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't use the term fat-head...trying to be sensitive to Goody. However, Rev uses that name a lot. Generally, it's aimed at Joab. :P
[CS] Jedi
Site Admin

Postby [CS] Joab on Tue May 04, 2010 10:32 pm

[CS] Jedi wrote:I don't use the term fat-head...trying to be sensitive to Goody. However, Rev uses that name a lot. Generally, it's aimed at Joab. :P

Since I'm older than you I would prefer being called "Uncle Fathead".
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Hey...I've seen those "thin" pictures!! :lol: :lol:
:shock:
Um...however, I always remark about how "dignified" you look now, Mr. Jedi, sir.

8-)
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Next

Return to Support/Help