HELP!!!! I'VE GOT A TRICKY TROJAN HORSE!!!

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Re: HELP!!!! I'VE GOT A TRICKY TROJAN HORSE!!!

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 pm

[CS] Ice_GopherFC wrote:I tried Joab's and Goody's programs, with no luck

This kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.

That's a bible joke, doncha know
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby Garrett on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Glad to hear it GopherMan. :D And Scuba, I have been a big fan of Ad Aware for a long time - but have to say I think Malware Bytes works a lil better.

Still use Hijack This though - but if you never tried Glary Utilities you might want to check it out as well.
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Centurion on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06 pm

You might also want to try disabling "System Restore" before running any of the suggested anti-malware/trojan, anti-virus Apps.

Quite often they bury the suckers within your Registry so as soon as you reboot, you've got it again.

The program I've used successfully on my wife's laptop, which seems to develop issues about every two months, is "SuperAntiSpyware", another free App.
Good Luck!
[CS] Centurion
Hall of Fame

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:20 pm

My complaint with MalwareBytes is that it will identify problems, but to fix them you have to pay for the full package. I'm not against capitalism and them making money on a good product, but don't throw it out to every freeware site on the Net, where people will expect it to work in full for free.

A few months back I got a backdoor virus and MalwareBytes identified bad files, but told me I had to pay to remove them. I got rid of them using CureIt and something else (forget what).
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby Garrett on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 am

You sure it was MalwareBytes? I've had many of my friends and family use it to find viruses and delete them & never heard of anyone having to pay to do so. I know TrendMicro and some others used to do that - but haven't used them for a while.

Now, MalwareBytes and Ad Aware both have scheduler and real time protection features you have to pay for (like $25) - but that's all I thought the charges were for.

Also, Gopher - I went back 2 days later and some annoying lil malware was still on there - but MalwareBytes took it off and they didn't come back.

P.S. A Lot of people are promoting SuperAntiSpyware also lately - but haven't used it either.

EDIT: Had to go check out that one from Jedi as I never heard about - but CNET gives it a pretty good review. Here's most of them all together on CNET: CNET Malware Spyware Programs
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Yes, the a-squared free version is a highly rated program. I use it too, although we've been pretty fortunate to not get anything major. I pray for angels to watch over my internet connection and not let the devil mess with my computer.:mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I wanted to mention that the last time I did the update on a-squared, it notified me that the name would be changing to something more recognizable as an anti-malware software program. Don't remember the name, but if you see that the name is changing, don't worry about it. It does seem to be a good program and straight-forward to use.

Something else to consider, Gopher, is to run the Microsoft Malicious Software remover - it has an official name, but it is recommended that you run that once a month or so, just as a ground-level cleaner.
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:13 am

And don't forget to lick a toad just for extra measure. :P

Can't hurt.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Ice_GopherFC on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:22 pm

And just when I thought a topic was going to stay on track for once... Scooby throws a wrench in it!!! :P
"Blimps remind me of myself to much to want to own one. The are slow, round, full of hot air and not tax free. :shock:" -[CS] Goodytwoshoes

I've learned that I'd much rather have fools pray for me, than work with intellectuals who run me down. I love you folks! (1 Corinthians 1:25!)
[CS] Ice_GopherFC
Official Clan Fire Fodder

Postby [CS] Xid on Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:And don't forget to lick a toad just for extra measure. :P

Can't hurt.

Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
-----
There lurks the skid demon!
[CS] Xid
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Ice_GopherFC on Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Well, the main trojan horse problem is gone, but there is still something rooting around causing random webpages to open, links to go to sites that I DEFINITELY do not want to pop up, and for some strange reason, causing my audio drivers to magically vanish into thin air!!! :shock:

Looks like I'm going to have to do that reformat after all... I'm just not ready to do it yet... :(
"Blimps remind me of myself to much to want to own one. The are slow, round, full of hot air and not tax free. :shock:" -[CS] Goodytwoshoes

I've learned that I'd much rather have fools pray for me, than work with intellectuals who run me down. I love you folks! (1 Corinthians 1:25!)
[CS] Ice_GopherFC

Postby Frostbite on Sun May 02, 2010 11:11 pm

Looks like you got something Ajax can't scrub off. Definitely wipe your whole drive. And change any passwords you may have entered.

In the meantime if you are waiting for the install, you could always try a live cd of linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

8-)
Frostbite
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Ice_GopherFC on Tue May 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Well, finally scrubbed both drives... Things are running peachy again! :P

[CS] Ice_GopherFC

Previous

Return to Support/Help