sound prob in Win7 pro x64

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

sound prob in Win7 pro x64

Postby Cleric on Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:45 pm

I installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit a few days ago. After I installed the driver for my sound card a Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro I noticed I had no sound when i put my headphones on. When I ran the install in compatibility mode as Vista I got sound back but I hear crackling and popping when playing and video's, music, and sound period. I've checked creatives forums and nothing but complaining on those. I've downloaded the pack that so many people on there were going on about but the same useless garbage. I don't understand why the latest driver is from Jun of 09 when Win 7 officially came out in Oct? Makes no sense and is really frustrating.
Cleric
Officially Retired

Re: sound prob in Win7 pro x64

Postby Hooligan on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:24 am

I have the same card you do and have had issues with it occasionally in Vista x64. I don't uninstall drivers though, sometimes I have to do some weird stuff like unpluging the earbuds, plug em back in, go to the control panel and make sure it didn't somehow go from default device to something else, run dxdiag, check in the creative control panel I don't have the digital i\o selected when using the flexi jack option, run it in game mode for games and entertainment when listening to music of watching movies. Bla bla bla....

Have you tried beta drivers? I know Creative has some. I haven't but if all else fails I suppose it's worth a try?
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby Cleric on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 am

[CS] Cleric wrote:...the wierd thing is that if I'm playing a video lets say on youtube it will play for like 3 sec then stop like if you had paused it. You'll see the bar keep loading the video but if you click and advance the clip a few sec's it will play and stop again after 3 seconds.

What browser do you see this with, Cleric? I'm part of beta-testing IE8 at work (to ensure it works with our internally-developed and supported sopftware), and I'm seeing this behavior with IE8 (BTW, that's with Windows XP). I can pull up the same video clip with Firefox and it works fine, go back to IE8 and have the same problem. I supposed this to be an issue with IE8 being able to handle some of the sound encoding algorithms. Is it possible you have this on top of the other issues you are seeing, and it is just compounding your frustration?
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm sorry, Cleric, I just hit the Edit button on your post instead of "Quote," then proceeded to trash your whole post. So sorry! :oops:
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby Cleric on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:07 pm

lol no biggie Scuba. It's happening to me in Firefox 3.6 and IE8. It's really frustrating not being able to listen to music, watch anime or other video's online, and finally not able to play games. If I knew this would happen I would have stayed on Vista and dealt with my pc constantly freezing up on me at least the sound worked.
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby Frostbite on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 pm

I just installed windows 7. I did not have a problem with my x-fi titanium. Did you check the sound settings and see how its configured (2 speaker, headphones, front headphone)?
Frostbite
Officially Retired

Postby Cleric on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 am

Doesn't matter what its set up for I get either no sound or just crackling and popping noises with some sound for like 5 secs. For video's they either stop playing after a few secs or go in slow motion with no sound while music has the popping and crackling with sound for a few secs then stops.
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby Frostbite on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:09 pm

It doesn't sound just like an isolated driver problem then. I'm not sure what would be causing it. May seem like a dum question, but did you disable your onboard audio in the bios?
Frostbite
Officially Retired

Postby Cleric on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:17 am

Yup I did that but didnt help except some how a few mins ago I got it working somehow. I just hope its still working after I shutdown my computer lol :lol: .
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:51 am

[CS] Cleric wrote:Yup I did that but didnt help except some how a few mins ago I got it working somehow. I just hope its still working after I shutdown my computer lol :lol: .

You have to stick your tongue out and hold it at just the right angle......
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby Cleric on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:04 pm

My sound pooped out again when i started up my comp a few mins ago :? . I don't know what's up.
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby Sabby31 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 pm

little late here and didn't read the whole thing, but I have heard that the X-fi cards don't play nice with in Win7, but there is a patch out there somewhere for it....I am using MB sound with my new' puter and have had no problems so far
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that enough good men do nothing.”

"Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior"

"The true measure of a man is how he handles adversity"

Sabby31
Officially Retired

Postby Hooligan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 am

I found this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/0e62fce3-32d6-4470-ab68-c790c5ddbc0f

Not sure if it will help but it seems it has for others on Win7 64
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby Cleric on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:01 pm

That daniel-k guy released a new driver pack and it finally worked for me no more problems with my sound so far anyways. Well see if its still working tomorrow. :lol:
Cleric
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Excellent! Hope you finally have it all sorted out....
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Return to Support/Help