Well, whaddaya know.....

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Well, whaddaya know.....

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:11 pm

I believe I finally figured out why my frame rates have been so low, mostly on DoD, but also marginal on COD4. :D

I had decided to buy a new video card, but never really understood why my frame rates had dropped so suddenly on the old card. Back when I first started having problems, the first thing I checked was the PC interior, figuring something might be clogged with dust. However, as usual, it was spotless inside.

Today, before placing an order for a new card, I decided I'd better measure my case clearance for the new video card, and this time set the case on it's side to make it easier to measure for a new card. Now, the way my case is setup, the fan for the video card points downward, and the front of the case has an air slot to move the air directly from the bottom front of the case to the video card fan.

With the case on its side, Lo and behold, I noticed that the fan on the video card looked a bit askew. I took the video card out of the slot, and found this (sorry for the quality; cell phone pics):

Apparently, my video card has been acting as an effective air filter for the rest of the box, which is still spotless inside. Even so, there's really not much dust there; what you see is mostly the grease from the fan post, mixed with some dust and spewed everywhere when the fan pot exploded.

I pulled the fan off of the post, which was bent as if someone had stepped on it. Underneath, it looked like this:

I have no idea how it could have bent so badly; this is the first time I've had this card out of the case, and I'm beginning to think it was a damaged card to begin with, and the fan finally "bit the dust" several months ago, when I started having my problems.

I leave my computer on almost 7x24, so I can only imagine how hot that sucker was getting. It's an older model, which did not have any temp monitor, so I did not have a means of measuring temps on it.

What's really remarkable is that the thing worked at all with no fan! :lol:

New Video card (XFX 4850) and power supply on order from Newegg.......
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Re: Well, whaddaya know.....

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Verrrry interesting.

I'm with you in not knowing how that card continued to work at all. So what PSU did you pick?
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby Renegade on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 pm

Wow. :shock:
Renegade

Postby [CS] Xid on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Crazy! When I worked at Appian Graphics we had a set of boards that got a cap installed backwards. When the first call came in the Tech that answered said, "No. Our video cards don't generally explode."
-----
There lurks the skid demon!
[CS] Xid
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 pm

[CS] Joab wrote:So what PSU did you pick?

Antec EA650RT. Ready for the future!

lol, Xid! :lol:
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] SSgt-SpeeD on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm

So Scuba, does this mean I won't be able to score on you from now on?

8-)
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD

Put on the full armour of God
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD
Clan Member

Postby Hooligan on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Don't lie. You put that there on purpose.
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:38 am

[CS] SSgt-SpeeD wrote:So Scuba, does this mean I won't be able to score on you from now on?
8-)

I HIGHLY doubt it. Hardware helps, but is no substitute for skillz (or the lack thereof, in my case). :gun: :nade:

Hooligan wrote:Don't lie. You put that there on purpose.

LOL, yeah, you can tell from the pics what a l33t video card that is - NVidia 8500GT. State-of-the-not.
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby REDYANKEE on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 am

So does that mean Garrett has a bad card too? Look forward to seeing you more often on the server.
OH... I hope I will be there. Seem to have a ping problem lately. Gee, will a lan card explode like that? :D
REDYANKEE

For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind and declares to man what are His thoughts, he who makes dawn into darkness and treads on the high places of the earth, the LORD God of hosts is His name. Amos 4:13

It is well that war is so terrible--we shouldn't grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee
REDYANKEE
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Xid on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 am

[CS] REDYANKEE wrote:Gee, will a lan card explode like that? :D

It will when strapped to a lit M-80. Well, not quite like that.
-----
There lurks the skid demon!
[CS] Xid
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:36 pm

LAN cards (also knowns as NICs, or Network Interface Cards) can go bad, but I would look to your ISP first, then your router.

Try running Speedtest.net to see what your throughput looks like; make sure it's what you're paying for. Then, check to make sure your wife or kids aren't downloading music or watching YouTube while you're trying to play. LAN cards are all solid state, no fans, so they're usually OK. When they go, they usually go completely.

It might be as simple as a network outage that rerouted all of your traffic and the original link was never restored, or the ISP's routing tables are hosed. Not much you can do about that but call them and open a complaint ticket.
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby REDYANKEE on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:28 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:LAN cards (also knowns as NICs, or Network Interface Cards) can go bad, but I would look to your ISP first, then your router.

Try running Speedtest.net to see what your throughput looks like; make sure it's what you're paying for. Then, check to make sure your wife or kids aren't downloading music or watching YouTube while you're trying to play. LAN cards are all solid state, no fans, so they're usually OK. When they go, they usually go completely.

It might be as simple as a network outage that rerouted all of your traffic and the original link was never restored, or the ISP's routing tables are hosed. Not much you can do about that but call them and open a complaint ticket.

I am sure it is the ISP. I was just thinking I wish my situation was as easily remedied as yours. I am not looking forward to talking with the local Phone company that provides my internet. From experience they are about as knowledgeable as the poles carrying the cables.
REDYANKEE

For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind and declares to man what are His thoughts, he who makes dawn into darkness and treads on the high places of the earth, the LORD God of hosts is His name. Amos 4:13

It is well that war is so terrible--we shouldn't grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee
REDYANKEE
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] SSgt-SpeeD on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Or even less so. Been there, done that.

8-)
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD

Put on the full armour of God
[CS] SSgt-SpeeD
Clan Member

Postby [CS] No One on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:53 am

Thats fan is pretty strange there Scuba. Glad you found your problem though.

I had almost a year long battle with my cable company that provides my internet as I was not getting anywhere close to the speeds I was supposed to. I could clearly see the router that was holding up my traffic and the router name told me which company it belonged to. I called every day for weeks to no avail. I finally ended up cancelling my "home" service and getting service with my employers name which put me at a different level of support. After that it took them 6 months to get the router replaced but in the mean time they gave me a static IP and throttled my bandwidth up on the old router. I still had to call every month as the programming in the router reset itself and someone would have to go in and reapply my throttle at that router to my IP.

Its better now but still does not meet their minimum requirements.

I was lucky that it was my local ISP own router that was the problem. I'm not sure what to do if it was antoehr companies.

Good luck!
[CS] No One
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

I'm online with Vista. I'm waiting for the 79 Vista updates to install. I'm currently on #16 as I type, meaning it should be finished updating by Monday. :lol: And I obviously got online. I've seen a lot of "Help! Network problem with Vista & XP" messages online and hopefully I'll get a network configured without major issues.

I am already sick and tired of having to approve the running of every single program at least once. I hope that's a feature I can turn off.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Next

Return to Support/Help