Vista (ugh!) questions

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Re: Vista (ugh!) questions

Postby GR1T on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:00 am

Just keep checking for updates and rebooting.

This might be helpful too.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935791

Here is Vista's home page.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/default.aspx
The Essence of Freedom is the Limitation of Government.
GR1T
Call Me a Regular

Postby Hooligan on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm not sure how far or deep into being comfortable with your new install you are, but if you are not too far in, you could try slipstreaming an install of Vista w/SP1 here.

I haven't tried it but I did do a slipstream of XP w/SP3 the same way recently and it saved a lot of time. I'm not sure if it can be done for V SP2, don't see why not. Could be worth a try if for any reason but to have another install disc with up-to-date OS and SP's for that 'OHH NOOO! I have to do a fresh install because of some unforseen event!'

Provided you don't do backups.
Hooligan
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks guys. From what I can tell Windows postpones SP updates on any system with incompatible drivers. Last night I could not get my mic to work in TeamSpeak. Windows says it's working properly and sound checks show that the mic is indeed operative, so I was perplexed as to what was going on. I thought that maybe my sound card driver was not meant for Vista and that was the reason for the mic issue and the delay in Update identifying SP1 and SP2 for installation.

I got drivers that are for Vista 32 for the sound card but there is no option to uninstall the existing driver (the button is grayed out). I did a repair install but don't know if that will fix it or not. I also updated my video drivers for good measure. I did download SP1 manually but am hoping it will pop up in Windows Update on its own.

EDIT: Just checked Windows Update after posting and I see SP1 is there waiting to be installed. :mrgreen:
Thanks again for everyone's help, especially Grit!
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby GR1T on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 pm

On my Antec 900 case, I can't use the mic port on the front of the case, but when I plug it directly into the motherboard I/O inputs on the back of the case, my mic works fine. I don't know if that's a Vista problem or not. It's just something I've dealt with all along.

I'm happy to help anytime.
GR1T
Call Me a Regular

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:23 pm

I haven't had a chance to see if my mic is working or not but I did get both service packs installed. I was a bit unnerved about going with Vista and was expecting to deal with some problems, but I have to admit that so far it's all gone smoothly and I actually kind of like it.

My thanks to everyone who helped out and answered questions in this topic.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am

Joab,

Have you tried just unplugging the mic, then plugging it back in?

Both NoOne and I have minor mic issues with Vista. It seems to be hardware-related, but I can't explain it.

My mic connection is built-in to the mobo, and has both front and rear connections (I use the front). After boot up, I always have to unplug, my mic, then plug it back in for it to work. Just the mic, not the headphones. From then on, it works fine.

NoOne has to re-do his mic following every map change in DoD, or at least he used to.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:Joab,

Have you tried just unplugging the mic, then plugging it back in?

Yes, but that didn't work that night. I use a sound card and updated it with Vista-approved drivers but haven't been able to find anyone in TS when I am home to see if they can hear me.
[CS] Joab

Postby GR1T on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:57 pm

[quote="[CS] Joab="
Yes, but that didn't work that night. I use a sound card and updated it with Vista-approved drivers but haven't been able to find anyone in TS when I am home to see if they can hear me.[/quote]

Open Help and Support. At the top in the Search box, type "voice". There's help on setting up voice recognition in Vista. Even if you never use the voice recognition, it will verify that your mic is working fine (or not). btw, the voice recognition is very cool. I don't use it, but I set it up anyway just for fun.
GR1T
Call Me a Regular

Postby [CS] Joab on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks Grit, I'll give that a try.
[CS] Joab

Previous

Return to Support/Help