Multi-threaded processors and DoD

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Multi-threaded processors and DoD

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:51 am

Garrett and I are experiencing similar problems with DoD:S, that we are not with COD.

I'm not sure of Garrett's processor, but mine is a Core 2 Quad 6600, and up until the last Steam update, has been performing fine. Since the last update, however, my frame rates have dropped to half of what they were, and the only change is in the Steam update. Frame rates for COD and other applications have remained unchanged. Since Garrett mentioned he has a multi-cored machine, I wondered if any others out there with multi-cored processers are having similar issues.

My video card is older, and I could stand to upgrade, but it has the latest drivers, and as I mentioned above, was fine for playing until the last Steam update.

Any ideas/similar experiences?

Thanks,

Scooby
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Re: Multi-threaded processors and DoD

Postby Garrett on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 pm

In the spirit of full disclosure (sorry for the long post..lol) :shock: here are my settings/specs/autoexec config setup.

Scooby - I did find this support info on Dual Cores and Source in Steam: Steam Dual Core Game running slow link but nothing on quad cores. :(

** Edit: Also, COD4 is basically running on John Carmack/Id's Quake 3 engine (albeit a modified version of it). He's still IMO the best game engine designer/coder out there (all my cores are equally running in COD4) & pretty sad how the newer Orange Box Engine (once again IMO) doesn't run better than John's 5 year old Q3 engine coding - at least from a networking perspective.

Like you explained to me - Source Games are heavily GPU (Graphics Card) usage & not so much CPU usage (I use less that 10% on my cores in Source..) so maybe that's an issue. If so - maybe it could be a newer driver for Nvidia/Ati cards issue :?:
------------------
System Information (from DXDIAG)
------------------
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: FX7026
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8124MB RAM
Page File: 1380MB used, 14922MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
Display Memory: 2544 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 2046 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2235wm
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2um
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.8250 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

** More/Same info: Generated from Steam (can be found in Steam->Help->System Information):

Processor Information:
Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 2491 Mhz
4 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Unsupported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Windows Version:
Windows Vista (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported

My autoexe config file is the following - but also have tried the defaults (by deleting this file)....

bind m "say !medic"

rate 50000
cl_cmdrate 67
cl_updaterate 67
cl_interp 0.050
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.1

r_3dnow 1
r_sse2 1
r_sse_s 1

fps_max "300"
mat_vsync "0"
mat_dxlevel "95"

These settings are supposed to be set automatically by detecting your system - but think multi core may not be "supported" like they say it is. The reason I say that is if you look at the advanced video settings in the above pic from my settings - I had to go in and ENABLE multi core rendering in the settings - as they were disabled before. :roll:

I think the SSE2 is for multi-core processors & MMX is for older Hyperthreading chips - but not sure on other 2 settings.

// r_3dnow 1 // _enables 3DNow! instruction set_
// r_mmx 1 // _enables MMX instruction set (Hyperthreading)
// r_sse 1 // _enables SSE instruction set
// r_sse2 1 // _enables SSE2 instruction set
Last edited by Garrett on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks, Garrett!

Hmm... I may have to go re-check my SSE settings. The rest of my autoexec.cfg settings are identical to yours. Wouldn't explain why the last update would've made a difference, unless it pushed something over the edge.

Garrett, Are you still having issues with DOD?
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby Garrett on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Found this command ( from This webpage) and just tried it - but still makes no difference:

In my guesstimation - DODS is not really fully multi core supported & thus, having a higher spec machine could be a hindrance to some.
Last edited by Garrett on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:19 pm

(makes note to self...now's the time to kill Scooby and Garrett on DOD!!!) 8-)

I just want to mention that I have an older, single-processor machine, and I have noticed some stutter and shudder lately as well. Not unplayable but some obviously "oh no I'm dead because I can't respond" moments that are obvious. Running and the scenery flickering past instead of going by smoothly...etc. I have been able to tell a difference. I don't think it's our machines, I suspect it's something either on the server or in one of the updates. The last couple times I played, everyone on was talking about seeing the same stuttering and flickering and stuff...
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby Garrett on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Was just wondering & hopefully just a quick ? for brother Jedi - did any of the server settings and/or client cvar settings change much when they released the DODS Beta (on the OB engine) that you think may cause weird stuff for some of us?

I looked at some server.cfg examples and didn't see anything that different between the 2 and wouldn't expect there to be much anyway - but just thought I'd ask.

Edit - Maybe a clue - but the update on 3/09 (DODS 3/09 Update) supposedly addressed multicore rendering for both TF2/DODS - so maybe that was the change point since some crashes/map problems showed up after that one.

But once again, begs the ? from me of why DODS doesn't recognized multicore for me and disables it by default.
Last edited by Garrett on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:03 pm

[CS] Garrett wrote:But once again, begs the ? from me of why DODS doesn't recognized multicore for me and disables it by default.

Maybe it's just merciful and being kind to us newbie-dweeb slow-computer-driving computer-geek-wannabe's...??
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby REDYANKEE on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:44 am

I am also running a multi core system but it is an AMD and not Intel. Does that make a difference? Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7376
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1720MB used, 6647MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x944C)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_944C&SUBSYS_15311462&REV_00
Display Memory: 2297 MB
Dedicated Memory: 505 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0010.0163 (English)
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/16/2008 13:19:37, 2340352 bytes

I am using 2 ATI cards crossfired. If DODS is GPU intensive I am sure this helps. I do have the muticore setting checked although I forget if it was already checked for me.
REDYANKEE

For behold, He who forms mountains and creates the wind and declares to man what are His thoughts, he who makes dawn into darkness and treads on the high places of the earth, the LORD God of hosts is His name. Amos 4:13

It is well that war is so terrible--we shouldn't grow too fond of it.
Robert E. Lee
REDYANKEE
Officially Retired

Postby Garrett on Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Can't speak for Scuba - but DODS is not playable for me.

One thing I did notice playing in CSS afterwards - is that you can disable interploation in it (cl_interpolation 0) - which although it makes it somewhat choppy, it is way more accurate (IMO) to register on the hitboxes.

Some DODS players found out how it helps in the OB & started using it (myself included) & then Valve blocked it in an update.
Last edited by Garrett on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:20 pm

It's really becoming unplayable for me. Since the last Source update, my frame rates have been cut in half, and they weren't exactly outstanding to begin with. I routinely get shot now before I can even raise my gun to fire. I have been through their update notes (virtually noexistent), and I don't see anything in there that should account for such crappy performance on my machine. I'm considering a reinstall, but I've forced the interim patch by deleting the clientregistry.blog to no avail, so not sure a reinstall would help.
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby Tinman on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Hate to ressurect an old thread, but was wondering scuba if things have improved for you lately.

I purchased a quadcore over the summer and when i put steam on it, i had to click the multi-cored rendering box, it was unplayable prior to that.

I added the multicore tweaks that garret suggested and it may have helped a little, but hard to tell. I currently have and nvidia 8600gt, and am looking to upgrade video cards over the holidays.

My fps vary from the 60's to 120's depending on the map.....

On another note, Ironhead has always had my number in game. I asked him what kind of machine he was running and he said a 5yr old Dell. So, newer better faster apparently is not always the best for DOD:S, PERHAPS.
As iron sharpens iron, so a man the countenance of his friend. - Proverbs 27:17

Tinman
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey, Tin. Yes, the root cause of the problem turned out to be coincidental to the Steam update. If you're interested, the root cause is discussed in detail here.
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Return to Support/Help