For anyone considering a new system...

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

For anyone considering a new system...

Postby [CS] Joab on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 am

...these articles at Tom's Hardware help to show what you can get in three different price ranges.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: For anyone considering a new system...

Postby [CS] Raston on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:23 pm

I bookmarked and will check it out, Tom's is a good site. Ok, the time has come to upgrade Joab. Here is a system that I'm looking at. I basically want to get a barebones system that isn't the latest and greatest but more a one year old or so which is "cheaper". Just so it's hardware upgradeable and can run the later games good, not the very best, but good. It has been so many years since I built a PC that I'm out of touch with what is the standard today. The PC I have now I bought as is and is a Pentium 3 running a GeForce 6200, 2 gig ram, to give you an idea of how ancient I am. The next PC I'll have 4 gig of ram. I don't care if it's a Pentium or an AMD Phenom. The PC I built years ago used an AMD and I liked it. Personally, I think it has less hardware related crashes than Pentium does, but will go with whatever is offered. MB's I'd like to go with Asus but not sure which one is the most trouble free these days.

I want to install XP on it. Maybe Windows 7 after it's SP1 patch and the price has gone down. The thing is I want to avoid as many problems as possible at the start. I want to keep the price under $1,000 if possible. I'll use my old monitor and maybe the soundcard,keyboard,mouse, etc.. I will have to get a good Nvidia video card, are the 8800's the standard or what would you recommend? I assume most MB's have network built-in today don't they? I also plan on using just one video card.

Is this a good system or what would you recommend? I plan on using a front and back fan.

Also, have you heard of any game conflicts with various hardware?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.419036
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Joab - you thought I hand-cranked MY machine!! I'm at least in a P4.
Raston still seems to outperform me in DOD though, and I'm not sure why...maybe my tires are skinnier?
Just a thought Raston, what kind of frame rates are you getting when you're playing DOD?

BTW Raston, Tom's has really good graphics card comparison tools too...you can find out what you want about the different cards' performance on various game platforms, etc. Something to keep in mind though, and that is that the comparison charts take no account for availability or price of the cards, nor the actual manufacturer. Once you find a couple cards you're interested in, then go back to NewEgg (or elsewhere) and see what they cost, which manufacturer's offer the cards, etc. I had to go back-and-forth several times to find a card for my old machine that I could actually get, even though they had all been tested and showed up in Tom's reports...
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Raston on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:45 am

As for DoD I mark it up to years of practice and my clean living. :wink: It surely can't be my PC. That reminds me of when I used to play BF42 on 56k. When cable finally came to my area I thought I'd rock in the kill catagory. To my amazement I regressed instead of improved. That system is a dual core I believe. Warner was telling me I should go quad.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:37 am

As for Quad core, the only practical advantage I have seen in having one over dual core is that if an app is running on two cores and locks up somehow (cough, cough, COD4, cough cough), you still have a couple of extra CPUs handy to at least get Task Manager up to kill the offending process.

Other than that, if you're not doing a bunch of simultaneous apps (gaming while burning a DVD and typing up a term paper), you're probably fine with a dual core.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Raston on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 am

My son has a dual core and that's what he said. He also said to just use an Nvidia 9800 and not go sli with two cheaper older video cards like two 8800's or similar.
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm

When I was back looking for systems, Jedi mentioned that quad core, although practical enough from the hardware standpoint was still so far ahead of the programming that could support it that it was still impractical, and would likely cause more compatibility issues than it problems it solved. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced any of that, but all the software is probably running in some form of a "compatibility mode" because of how quickly the machine technology advanced from single through dual to quad...
I'm still so far behind all that that I'm not too worried about it. But I do know that the day is approaching that I will have to address it again!
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:54 pm

I haven't had a single problem with my Quad-core setup (it's an Intel Core 2 Quad, btw), but I would agree with Jedi's assessment. There are just so few apps out there right now that can take advantage of more than two CPUs simultaneously. It was nice to have the extra cores when COD4 would lock up, though, because it would consume two full processors at 100%. I could still alt-tab out of the frozen game, and open Task Manager. With only a Dual-core, I would've had to reboot to recover.

It is nice to be able to watch a DVD while simultaneously being connected to work (it makes those late night on-call rotations so much nicer)!
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Raston on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:48 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:I haven't had a single problem with my Quad-core setup (it's an Intel Core 2 Quad, btw), but I would agree with Jedi's assessment. There are just so few apps out there right now that can take advantage of more than two CPUs simultaneously. It was nice to have the extra cores when COD4 would lock up, though, because it would consume two full processors at 100%. I could still alt-tab out of the frozen game, and open Task Manager. With only a Dual-core, I would've had to reboot to recover.

It is nice to be able to watch a DVD while simultaneously being connected to work (it makes those late night on-call rotations so much nicer)!

Do you have any problems running any of the newer games or DoD? Also, what about Win 7 is it compatible with most games or has anyone had any problems?
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm

[CS] Raston wrote:Do you have any problems running any of the newer games or DoD? Also, what about Win 7 is it compatible with most games or has anyone had any problems?

COD4 was the only one I had problems with, and that was early on, before one of the COD4 patches.

To my understanding, if the programs will run under Vista, they should run under Win 7. This is a snippet from cnet:
Generally, if it runs ok in vista it will run ok in win7. if it's wonky in vista, it probably won't run in win7 since they provide virtualization to run a full xp install within win7.

if you're not running vista, run both the vista and win7 upgrade advisors to root out any software on your pc that is known to be problematic.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

you can also compatibilty for specific apps in vista using this tool (a win7 tool should be out next month): http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

There's a full laundry list of suggestions on the cnet site here:
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby Thunderstruck on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Win 7 works fine with DoD, not sure about other games because the computer I have it on can only support some games because of the graphics card.
To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.

~It takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it. ~
Thunderstruck
World's Worst Spammer

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Didn't someone tell me once that Thunderstruck was really a bot?
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby Renegade on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:11 pm

[CS] vizwhiz wrote:Didn't someone tell me once that Thunderstruck was really a bot?

*cough* Hijacker *cough* :P

My desktop finally died on me the other night. Not sure if I will be getting it replaced anytime soon, lack of funds kind of thing. :(
Renegade

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Ooohh...what part died??
I'd bet Raston will be selling an old system soon.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay, couldn't help it.
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Raston on Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm going to give my old one to my wife. Since she only plays solitaire, checks email and does some surfin it is more power than she can handle. :lol: Her old PC is having cmos errors and I haven't been able to fix problem so my new pc will come at the right time. :wink:
[CS] Raston
Clan Member

Return to Support/Help